Information Page

This page contains information that may be of use to members of the MVT in pursuit of their hobby.

International Driving Permits

More Post Offices are issuing International Driving Permits. To check if you need one, and to find out which type, go to

Code of Conduct

A code of conduct has been prepared that all members must adhere to, to ensure the club is not brought into disrepute. The pages can be found here, Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4.

Chairman's report from the November CoM

The report from the MVT CoM November 2017. See here.

Chairman's Mutterings February 2017

Mutterings of our Chairman for Feruary 2017 See here.

Wilkinson Sword Award

The Wilkinson Sword Award for the furthest travelled vehicle is open for nominations. A letter about the award, an entry form and a poster are all available to read and complete through the links here Letter Entry form Poster

Notifying the MVT of Local MVT events

The document here lists the events to which the group has registered its attendance with the MVT. By following the guidelines in this document you should be covered for most eventualities.

Minutes from the COM

Here are the report from our chairman on the February COM meeting and updates to the November meeting minutes

Chairman's letter November 2014

Dave Salisbury has passed me a letter from the Chairman of the MVT for you all to read. The letter is here and the minutes of the September COM here. Liability Insurance

The MVT now operates its own PLI. Check on the main MVT website for details

Taxing your vehicle From Dave Salisbury (6th Feb 2014) Today I tried to tax my Jeep on line which I have done several times previously, unfortunately I could not do it. I then rang Swansea and after three calls got through. According to DVLA my Jeep still needs an MOT. I was told to get in touch with VOSA (after two calls) who said that I can only get a tax disc from the Post Office, and you need to fill a DVLA form V112, Declaration of exemption from MoT.(this I down loaded from the DVLA site) If your vehicle is an exempt goods vehicle you will need form V12G. It looks like you only have to do this once because the PO gave me the form back. Form is here for you to download. DVLA form

Visiting Europe For information on Export licences when visiting Europe with your ex-military vehicle see

The following e-mails were received from Preston Isaac and Paul Connolly who had raised questions with the BIS regarding the export licences, Hoepfully this makes things a little clearer, especially for those going to Normandy.

Hi Folks, I think the only people I have suggested may need an OGEL are those taking out Post War MVs to Normandy, I think manufactured since 1950. The MVT and IMPS were involved in positive discussions with 2010. At present WW2 MVs do not need an OGEL for entry and return from France. I have heard an OGEL may still be needed for Belgium and Holland. When OGELs were brought in, they were not for permanent export of MVs, that is a different export licence. They were people taking MVs out of the country, and returning them again, I think within 3 months. I don’t think I got a certificate, just a reference number. The OGEL was granted to an individual, and you could move unlimited vehicles out and return, you just have to keep a log of vehicle movements, ideally with proof of travel. Sorry I am not too sharp on my facts, but it seems a long time ago we were working on this. Preston

Hi all, Preston’s note summarised the position on OGELs pretty well. I wish my memory always served me as well as that !! I also promised Dave Salisbury I would let him know anything more I found out on these ‘OGELs’ after I sent an e-mail query to the govt’s ‘ECO’ unit in BIS so I thought it might be helpful to copy this info around as well. I wrote some summary notes down following my telephone call to BIS as attached in the Word document here. These notes include the specific reference to the exemption that applies for France, Germany, and Belgium. I have also attached a copy of the relevant export licence (OGEL no 34) which refers to this exemption in the explanatory notes at the end. This is the licence you would need to register to use if you were not exempt. Finally I have attached a couple of guidance documents for anyone who finds they do need to register to use the OGEL here and here (eg for trips to Holland or for more modern ex-military vehicles). I hope this helps. Best regards, Paul

December 2015 update - Please read this document OGEL2 to find out more about some letters that may or may not have been received by some members from the OGEL administration.

January 2019 Update - Please see this clarification note sent to Tim Hawkes at the MVT. The note states quite clearly an export licence is required to take an ex military vehicle abroad, whatever its age. A different licence is required depending on the age of the vehicle, either a Historic Military Vehicle licence for the older ones or a Military Surplus Vehicle for newer ones. 50 years old at the date of "export" is the deciding criteria.

Importing deactivated weapons One of our members enquired about importing deactivated weapons from Europe. The following is the answer from BIS (Business, Innovation and Skills, the Government Department responsible). "The current rules are that a firearm is only considered to be deactivated by the UK authorities if it has been stamped and certificated as deactivated by a UK Proof House. This is because there is currently no common deactivation standard across the EU.

This means that the importer of the firearm will need to hold both a Registered Firearms Dealer Certificate issued by UK Police and a suitably conditioned section 5 authority issued by the Home Office. The importer will also need to apply to this branch for an import licence and the firearm will need to be transported by an authorised section 5 carrier. If you do not have the authority to possess this firearm within the UK, you will only be able to take possession of it once the firearm has been stamped and certified as deactivated by a UK Proof House. This is something that the RFD holder you intend to use should be able to do providing he also has domestic authority to possess a section 5 firearm.

The rules though are also about to significantly change. From 8 April 2016, new EU-wide minimum deactivation standards come into force which will also affect the EU and the transfer of deactivated firearms between EU Member States. There will be a new common EU deactivation certificate and standardised minimum deactivation procedures with each Member State having the ability to introduce stricter controls and requirements. From 8th April 2016, an import licence will be required for the import of all deactivated firearms into the UK. You will only be able to do this if you have the new EU deactivation certificate. The EU deactivation certificate must also accompany the deactivated firearm during shipment. Any deactivated firearms that do not have a new EU deactivation certificate and do not have the new EU deactivation marks will be subject to authority to possess requirements and import licensing controls if being transferred to the UK. After 8th April, you will not be able to transfer ownership of your deactivated firearm unless it has the new EU deactivation certificate. You should also be aware that the EU Firearms Directive is currently being renegotiated and this is likely to mean further changes to EU and UK firearms import controls during 2016.

Regards ****** | Import Licensing Branch| Department for Business, Innovation and Skills | | The Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) is making a difference by supporting sustained growth and higher skills across the economy. BIS: working together for growth"

France's Clean Air requirements

France has introduced a Crit'Aire in a number of cities and is rolling it out to more in the coming months and years. This is a coloured siticker issued to denote the emissions of your vehicle. Depending on the air quality, a city may choose to prohibit certain dirtier cars from entering the city. This is determined by the sticker colour. If you are caught in the city with a dirtier vehicle than is allowed, you will be fined. If you do not display a sticker you will be fined. The sticker takes up to 8 weeks to arrive so plan ahead as you have to send PDF of your registration document to prove the emmissions. The details are here